Friday 20 December 2013

The Growth Scan

If you're a regular reader of BumpMoirs you may have noticed that things have been a little quiet over the past few days.  When I thought about maternity leave, (for all those months) I envisaged relaxing spa days, lie ins and long leisurely lunches... So far, this has not been the case.


From waking up each morning at 6.45am to drive the hubs to the station, my days have been pretty jam packed. Aside from the abundance of housework there is to do (no idea how we coped before) I have been tied up with finishing off the house.  This week was the final week of work to the house, and running around for the various handymen has been quite time consuming... not to mention delightful tasks like having curtains altered, collecting furniture and managing the delivery and build of our new front door! 

Now, I can't complain, not only does the house now look fab (had I not been off work, I have no idea when these tasks would have ever been completed), but my mind has been active. I've not been sat on the sofa, pigging out watching the days go by, I've been a busy bee who is shocked every day when the text arrives from the hubs telling me which train he's on... he usually gets home around 7.30pm and I collect him from the station.

Today however, my diary was cleared. Today was a biggie. The growth scan. After weeks of waiting and worrying, it was finally time to check that Baby J was growing well and proportionately.

As ever, every Tom, Dick and Harry felt the need to share their personal horror story about the growth scan. One particular story, which came from a close friend, told how his sister discovered at the growth scan that her little baby boy was malnourished. Due to this issue (which came due to a problem with the umbilical cord) she has to be induced seven weeks early. Please note, the baby whilst born tiny was absolutely fine and now is the perfect weight. I have nine weeks to go, so if I had to be induced seven weeks early... that would be in a fortnight.

Needless to say I didn't get much sleep last night from worrying, and my stomach was in quite a state this morning.

Once again, I was worrying over nothing. Baby J, my little boy is fab. He's growing splendidly and currently weighs in at around 3 lb. 3 ounces. How they can work that out I'll never know...

Baby J at 30 weeks, 4 days :-)


Whilst I am not having a 4D scan, the lady conducting the scan asked if we'd like to see the baby in 4D. That was insane.... she didn't take a picture for us as there wasn't too much fluid around the baby so he did look a little odd in 4D but I could make out his features briefly. I am sure everyone says this, but the resemblance to the hubs was uncanny. 

During the whole scan, Baby J was kicking away happily.

I can't believe I only have 9 weeks to go and I can't believe that all the scary scans are now out of the way! I am so relieved and so excited for Christmas.

I am going to put my feet up (finally) and enjoy my last Christmas with the hubs before we are parents! In the blink of an eye Baby J will be here so I better get in as much quality time with the hubs as possible now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment