Wednesday 30 October 2013

The dreaded word... 'Gas'


I said when I started this blog that I'd cover the good, the bad and the ugly sides of pregnancy. Well then, (despite the Hubs asking me not to), I could hardly write an honest blog about pregnancy without mentioning gas.


I'll try and be as ladylike as possible but let's be honest, it's one of the less attractive and more common symptoms of pregnancy.

Instead of feeling feminine and radiant during the early stages of pregnancy... I physically felt fat and spotty and internally felt totally bloated and gassy.

I'd read about most pregnancy symptoms on various websites, blogs and in books but none of them (aside from the medical ones) really touched on gas.


Well let me tell you, aside from the embarrassing side of things (I'm clearly over that now given the blog post) it is horrendously uncomfortable. 

One particular occasion that springs to mind was sitting at a friends wedding feeling horribly uncomfortable. 

The Hubs and I were sat with one of our favourite couples, the male member of the couple turned to me and asked what was wrong? (I'm not one of those people who can hide their emotions, I've always worn my heart on my sleeve) By that point I'd had enough, everyone was drunk, my feet hurt and I was in pain so I told him... blatantly... "gas". With little hesitation he said "let it out!!!", the female member of the couple jumped straight on the bandwagon..."come on, let it out... don't sit there in pain". The Hubs face was priceless, I think he initially thought that these types of conversations were reserved for home... after a minute or though so he got involved as well... "go on babe, let it out" I honestly never thought I'd have to deal with this type of peer pressure!! 

The long and short of it is that I just couldn't do it, a lady has to maintain some dignity! 

Gas during pregnancy is horrid, it does eventually pass (excuse the pun) so try and stay positive. 

I'm not sure anything can be done to prevent this wonderful side effect of pregnancy but for me being careful about my diet (not eating anything  that encouraged it) and talking about it rather than just letting it bubble up inside (again, pun unintended) helps. 

The most important thing? Don't be ashamed and don't hide it from your partner (you won't be able to anyway!) and try (if at all possible!) and see the funny side :)

And if all else fails, have some excuses up your sleeve about why you have to abruptly leave a meeting... and master of the art of spotting a secluded area in a busy shop, restaurant or bar!!


No comments:

Post a Comment